Let me begin by telling you this blog is dedicated to children. With the summer holidays setting in, it’s great fun to see children (otherwise engrossed with studies and project work) play and have a great time. I remember as a kid we would wait for the exams to end and the day they were over, I would have my cousins come over or rush off to a cousins place for holidays. Those were days when there were no mobiles, or facebook; time was spent watching Giant Robot and playing cricket in the street. I bet you, life couldn’t be any more fun. How I wish those days would never end!
Now lets speak about the dish today. What better than a yummy muffin that doesn’t give you the guilt of having consumed calories. Muffin and no caIories? Seems a distant dream? Well personally like muffins, easy to make and more forgiving to the novice baker even if you get a few ingredient measurements wrong. Since it was for the kiddies I thought I should make it a little more healthier and so I replaced the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour and added some oats.
It’s a great recipe for kids who are fussy and yes, mommies can enjoy it without worrying about the calories.
Whole Wheat and Oat Muffins
- 100 grams whole wheat flour
- 80 grams oat bran
- 65 grams brown sugar
- 15-20 raisins for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnammon
- 80 ml Honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 ml full cream milk
- Grease a muffin tray with oil and flour. Dust and keep aside. Pre-heat oven at 100 C for about 10 mins
- First, sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon)
- In another bowl, add the eggs and beat lightly, add the remaining ingredients (oil, milk, honey and vanilla essence)
- Now add the wet mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Give it a light mix, only to incorporate all the ingredients together. Its fine of there are specks of flour around the bowl.
- Pour spoonfuls of this mixture into the muffin tray. Garnish the top with the raisins.
- Bake at 180 C for 35 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.